At the moment it seems that the ascendance of Steve Jobs and the Apple Empire knows no limit. With the media player and smart-phone markets sewn up and their eyes firmly set on conquering the tablet PC market with the omnipresent iPad, it seems that Apple can do no wrong.
But not for me; I can see the Apple vision for the future and it’s a safe, bland, white-chrome corporate hell. Why do I say this? Well maybe it might have something to do with:
- Apple’s restrictive licensing conditions for the sale and development of apps which basically amounts to censorship and discourages innovation;
- Their refusal to allow 3rd parties to sell apps; iTunes is it – monopolistic price gouging anyone?
- Draconian digital rights management – installing unlicensed apps on you iProduct voids the warranty as does ‘jail-breaking’ them;
- Stupid ongoing court antics with Adobe meaning that iProducts aren’t compatible with Flash;
- Rechargeable batteries which can’t be replaced;
- And the thing that irritates me the most: requiring the use of propriety peripherals e.g. iPod shuffles are designed so that you can only use Apple headphones; USB devices or HDMI monitors can’t be plugged into an iPad - you need to purchase a Apple ‘adapter’ first etc.